Pages

Search

Thursday 4 September 2014

DIY ice mocha frappe!

Hello! 
As you may know, I'm a HUGE fan of the McDonald's mocha frappes,
they're cheaper than Starbucks and they're amazing!
I came across a recipe online a while ago and messed around with it until I
got it perfect!
Although it's bordering autumn in the UK I still like to drink these,
not the most healthy but they're super tasty!
so keep reading for my perfected dupe recipe!...
Here is what you will need:
-blender or ice crusher
- coffee, I used nescafe instant coffee
- Hot chocolate or chocolate milkshake powder, I used nesquik hot chocolate
- vanilla ice cream
- milk ( optional, I used a little to help my blender mix it up easier)
- ice trays (or you could use shot glasses)
- sugar (also optional but it adds extra sweetness)
- ice cubes or crushed ice
- chocolate sauce (optional)
- whipped cream (optional)

You will probably have most of these, If anything, you wouldn't have the
ice cream, whipped cream and chocolate sauce...(why not!?!?!?)...
and you could pick those up super cheap.
step one!

make some coffee, whether that be using a coffee machine or using instant coffee, you want to make this strong even if you don't drink strong coffee, once frozen it looses some flavour!
Then let the coffee cool for 5 minutes, once cool distribute it evenly into your ice tray or 
whatever you're using.

step 2

Warm up some milk or water, how ever your hot chocolate is meant to be made, I added milk to make it creamier later on. make this super chocolatey, after taking this photo I think I added 3 scoops of nesquik, it could of actually used more with the amount of milk I used, 
once frozen it wasn't as strong as it could be.
Once it cools for 5 minutes, then pour it evenly into your ice tray or whatever you're using.

step 3

 Put your ice trays into the freezer and leave them for a few hours to go solid, I think mine were ready in 2-3 hours.
They need to be frozen enough that they're not leaking
liquid and you can get them out in one piece.

step 4

After a few hours of freezing... is where the fun begins and the rest of the ingredients 
come into play.

You could always of just used cold coffee and cold chocolate milk to 
create this but I find blending the coffee and chocolate ice cubes makes it the same
texture as the actual frappes instead of just being a milky drink, it's kind of like mocha slush.

Now it's time to put the ingredients into the blender, I put one-two scoops of ice cream in first,
then a dash of milk so it moves around my blender better 
(you don't want too much milk, just a dash!)
 then I added 4-5 large normal ice cubes.
I then added 1 spoonful of sugar as you can see below...
I then added four of the chocolate ice cubes (as you can see the chocolate sinks, yuck!)
 I then added four of the coffee ice cubes (they look like cola!)
the last thing I added was a squirt of chocolate sauce for extra chocolate flavour... 
then it's time to blend! 
(due to messing with my camera, my ice cream had started to melt quite badly at this point, I wouldn't recommend the ice cream that I used, normally it's still quite solid by this point and creates a thicker drink, mine came out a little watery due to this)

step five

after it's all nice and blended up it should be a nice brown colour, this colour varies depending on how much ice cream and milk you use and how many coffee and chocolate cubes you use.
so it's time to pour it out into a glass or washed out Starbucks cup ;)
you can then decorate, I just squirted the top with cream and drizzled a little chocolate on top.
 Tada! 
there you have it.. a tasty mocha frappe.
Mines a little more watery that usual due to the ice cream melting,
 it's normally a little thicker in texture but it was still super tasty anyway!


You can keep the rest of the coffee and chocolate cubes in the freezer for next time,
once you have the few extra ingredients and the flavoured ice cubes are made
it literally takes a few minutes to make and it's mostly from stuff you will already have at home!

Hope you enjoyed! & let me know if you make some!


have you tried a recipe similar? 

do you have your own perfected recipe? let me know!


*All products purchased myself, I am in no way affiliated with any companies nor do they know they're mentioned - I just have no self control when shopping*

 Thanks for reading!

Follow my links:


No comments:

Post a Comment